When we ask for wisdom, what are we really asking for?
Me? I think most of the time I say I want wisdom, but really, all I want is answers. Answers about my future, answers about decisions I should make, answers about life. I don't think this is what the bible means when it says, "Ask and you shall receive."
All I want is a minute-by-minute outline of the things I'll face and the choices I'll make. Is that such a bad thing? Yes. I think it is. Because it shows a lack of faith in God's plan and, really, a lack of enthusiasm for life in general. I mean, think about it. Imagine if we knew all there was to know before we even began life. That would be lame, frankly.
I was reading a book the other day and, throughout the entire series, there's a prophecy. Not necessarily a bad one, but one that could go either way. As the characters live out their lives, they know this one hint or two from the future and they are so afraid of changing or messing up the prophecy that it's pretty much all their focused on. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be that afraid all the time.
Ecc. 7:14 says, "When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future."
A man can discover nothing about his future, so why worry in the happy times or the bad times? Makes me wonder why we let the enemy get to us so easily when it's so simple.
For our generation, those of us who actually strive for a strong relationship with Christ, worry too much. I've seen examples of this lately in myself and friends and family. We're all at turning points and times in our lives when the decisions we make will affect us forever. It's fear of failure. Can you blame us? If only being fearless wasn't so hard. I think it's time to stop being afraid and start living. I want to stop worrying about what is going to happen and trust that God will guide me in making the decisions I need to make regardless of what I think the consequences might me.
It's that kind of attitude that's going to keep this generation focused and world changing.
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power, or love, and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7
No comments:
Post a Comment