I heard a song by the Indigo Girls called "Closer To Fine" on my way home tonight and my mind began it's usual process of applying a biblical (and usually contrary) world view to the lyrics. Yes, I call that a gift. :)
The song's chorus says,
"I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain
There's more than one answer to these questions
pointing me in a crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine."
The first verse that came to my mind was "I am the way, the truth, the life" and the answer to these questions, pointing us in a straight line. "In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:6
I'd assume that someone who hasn't found the Way would have uber crooked lines, as opposed to someone who has found Jesus. But even as believers, we sometimes try many other things (like diets, educations, hobbies, relationships, remedies, workouts, self-help books, medications, vacations, insert yours here) to try and find our "source for definitive." But all we get from those things is a crooked line and that gratifying and satisfying feeling of being . . . fine. I can see why the songwriter is frustrated.
When Jesus came to earth I really don't think 'fine' was exactly His idea for us. "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God . . ." 1 Peter 2:9 Does that sound like a mediocre life to you? It sounds to me like a mighty calling. Like a mission. Like a life with the potential to be lived to it's fullest. Peter goes on to say ". . . that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." We were chosen to be taken out of the darkness and into His light so we could tell others how wonderful He is!
A friend recently told me a story from a show she'd seen. This family was in a situation where they thought that a bomb was heading towards their house. They all ran down to the bomb shelter and, fearing the wreckage outside, remained there for 30 years! When all the time, it was only a plane that had crashed in their neighborhood. Apparently, no one missed them and they were able to survive for a ridiculous amount of time underground. But, imagine if someone knew where they were, what their situation was and came, opened the door, let in the light, and showed them that everything wasn't in disarray. Do you think that they would say "thank you" and immediately pick up where their old life had ended? Of course not. They would celebrate and rejoice and drink in the light and enjoy the brand new life so graciously given to them. That's how redeemed Christ followers should be inclined to act, because He daily brings us up out of the bomb shelter. It just takes enough faith to step out into His wonderful light.
"As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received." Ephesians 4:1
We really do have a mission, whether we choose to accept it or not. When are we going to put away our selfish efforts and realize that we so desperately need Him? Because when we come to Him and He brings us out of the darkness He has so much more than fine planned for us. Be encouraged that Jesus has incredible planned for you!
"More than fine, more then bent on getting by . . . more than just okay." -Switchfoot
"I feel alive and it hurts for a change
I’m looking back, its hard to believe
That I was cool with the days that I wasted
Complacent and tasteless and bored
But that was yesterday," -The Afters
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9
"With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith." 2 Thessalonians 1:11
2 comments:
"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him." 2 Cor 2:14
Good blog girlie. Love you!
mom
Oh girl! This is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!! <3 Cassia
Post a Comment