13.8.09

difference.

Have you ever wanted to be different? Culture is pretty much centered around "fitting in," being popular, and having people like you, only because you're not different. "I just want to be normal, like everyone else, so they'll like me." Maybe we should change Who we're trying so hard to impress.

As Christians, our challenge isn't necessarily to be different, but it's to be like Christ, which ends up being starkly contrasted with the world anyways. Christ dined with sinners, spent weekends with beggars, celebrated with tax collectors, conversed with pharisees, and sacrificed Himself for humans. For the world Jesus was born into, interacting with such a wide array of people-types was completely non-conformist. To be like Christ we have to be like black is to white and like day is to night.

The only way to be like Christ is to know Him inside and out. And, you know what's cool? You'll never get to the bottom of His overflowing greatness. Never, ever, can any human learn everything there is to know about Him. That means we shouldn't ever stop searching Jesus out or fool ourselves into thinking that He has been fully revealed to us. Like Addison Road's song says, "I guess I thought that I had figured You out, I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about how You were might to save, but those were only empty words on a page when I caught a glimpse of who You might be, the slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees."

Romans 12:2 says, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." I don't know about you, but that sounds like a challenge to me. Why not take on the responsibility of not being like everyone else? What do we have to worry about when we have a God who will never run out of love and forgiveness?

What kinds of things can we do? SImply look at the world around you and compare it with God and His commandments. Then "go and make disciples of all nations." That should be a good start.

Let's take a chance and be different, just like Christ was.

No comments:

Post a Comment